Before we were moms it was all about us! Being selfish, and living the single life. Well that’s if you lived the single life. Others had someone since forever or played the dating game until we found a match. Life was awesome. Going out all the time getting to know each other and keeping the flame alive was very important to your relationship. Not doing things in front of your man because it’s just not lady like. Then there’s pregnancy… whether planned or not changed the game. You have your baby then just like that, It’s about the baby. You don’t have time to go out, and if you do you get a sitter. You can’t stay out all night because sitters aren’t cheap or you really don’t want to be out “that” late the baby at home. Years go by, maybe another baby (or two) and work and play don’t mix. You have totally let yourself go! What is a mom to do? Many moms put their looks on the back burner because their responsibility is far more important. Well moms I totally empathize with you. It’s not easy doing everything in one day and look good doing it, but remember… you are the reason it all comes together, so you have to feel good about yourself while your taking over the world. Heels and lashes are not required, but there are little things we could do to perk up our look for the better…
1. Fit is still important! Even if you are carrying some post-pregnancy weight that you plan to lose soon, don’t let drowning yourself in clothes that are too large be the solution. Too much fabric can actually make you look heavier. Instead, opt for clothes that skim your shape without being too form-fitting.
2. Buy/wear fabrics that breathe well, are comfortable and most importantly, are washable. Cotton tunics, straight or boot cut jeans, light dresses and cardigans are excellent choices for stylist mom’s wardrobe. Matte-jersey, particularly a heavier-weight jersey, is a fantastic choice for both at home and going out. A jersey dress for example, is easy to dress up, layer over and easy to move around in. It’s also relative inexpensive!
3. Choose comfortable but stylish footwear. Avoid plain, ratty sneakers and go for chic ballet flats, trendy sneakers, and gladiator flats if you’re in warm weather. Look for brands like Cole Haan, which offer fashionable shoes with comfort soles. If you’re uncomfortable giving up heels altogether, go with a one or two-inch platform slide or low pumps but be sure that the heel height is no more than 2″ to avoid giving yourself lower-back pain.
4. Use accessories to create unique and stylish looks without investing in a lot of money. Scarves, belts, handbags, hats and of course, jewelry are all great ways to keep your look trendy without spending too much money. And this year’s bold jewelry and bright colors will make it easy to mix up your look with minimal effort. Loosely drape a thin bright scarf over a neutral t-shirt and dark jeans and you’ll get through the day in style!
5. If you have an infant and need to carry a diaper bag, pick one that will complement your wardrobe. Any bag can work as a diaper bag as long as it has enough space and compartments to carry all the necessities. Pick a bag that’s roomy, made of a durable and easy-to-clean material (like nylon) and try to stay with a monochromatic rather than a printed or multicolored bag. A monochromatic bag in a neutral color like black, brown, charcoal grey is an excellent choice for a diaper bag and will go with any outfit you have on and keep you looking pulled together.
So find whatever fashion is best for you!! Get your pizazz back. Be mom and look good doing it!!